The second layer of apples and sugar, sprinkle with ground cinnamon and cloves.
Layer up the bread and butter pudding with a buttered bread layer and apple layer.
This is then covered with the egg , milk and vanilla mixture.
Below the cooked bread and butter pudding.
The last layer of bread and butter has sugar sprinkled on it which goes brown and crispy, heavenly.
This is a great pudding to cook in the oven with a casserole. It takes about 1 hour for the size I do. This is about 8 portions. It freezes well in portions and can be reheated quickly in a microwave.This is the recipe for my version.
2 large bramley apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
8 slices of bread( mine was a firm type of bread but experiment to see what you like) keep the crusts on
butter to spread on the bread
white sugar to sprinkle on the apple layers
ground cinnamon and ground cloves to sprinkle on the apples--2 teaspoons of each
1 1/2 pints of milk(maybe more or less depending on the size of yours dish)
4 eggs beaten
1. Butter a rectangular shallow dish( see mine above)
2. Butter the slices of bread
3. Layer the bread first, then apples, sprinkle sugar and spices on the bread. Continue to layer the bread and apples.
4. In a bowl break the eggs into it and beat with a fork
5. Add the milk to the eggs
6. Pour the milk/eggs over all the layers of apples and bread.
7. I then let it all soak in and press it down with a fork.
8. Put it into the oven above the casserole and cook for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours at gas 4/5--350F--180C. I put it into the oven for the last hour the casserole is cooking and I leave it to cook whilst we have our main meal. It is then usually perfect.
The pudding is cooked when it feels firm and the egg mixture has gone solid.
I use a glass dish so that I can see the base of the pudding.
9. Serve with custard, cream or ice cream
1. Make with half milk and half double or single cream
2. Layer with dried apricots , the moist type or soak the dry ones first.
3. layer with fruits of the forest, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries etc
4. Add vanilla essence to the milk.
5. Add fresh vanilla pods to the milk.
6. Layer with strawberry , raspberry or another type of fruit jam.
7. Layer with marmalade and lots of spices in the milk such as cloves, vanilla, cinnamon, cardamon.
8. Add the zest of an orange or lemon and layer with marmalade
9. Add chopped stem ginger.
10. Layer with chunks of dark chocolate.
11. Add some cocoa powder to the milk and layer with chocolate.
12. Spread the bread with butter and chocolate hazel nut spread.
13. Soak sultanas, raisins and currants in water and layer with the bread and spices .
14. Soak the fruit above in sherry, rum or whiskey
15. Layer the bread with candied peel and orange and lemon zest.
16. Layer the bread with dessicated coconut and glace cherries.
17.. Layer with dates and chopped walnuts. This is also good with stem ginger added.
18. Layer with rum and raisins.
19. Warm the milk first with crushed cardamons for a perfume like aroma.
20. Add maple syrup for flavouring.
21. Add honey with apples in the layers.
22. Layer with some orange or lemon curd and zest of the fruits.
23. Layer with moist prunes
24. Layer with dried figs.
I have tried most of these combinations and variations of the bread and butter pudding recipe and love them all.
Hope you enjoy this winter comfort food which is very economical to feed a family and will have them coming back for more.
Thanks for reading